The project will be located within the Quirimbas National park, IBO district, where twelve schools are still in operation despite several damages caused by cyclones during the past years.
In the 2021 year, 3617 students attended these schools in the Ibo district.
The school at Quirimba, which was damaged by the Kenneth cyclone during May 2019, provides education from level one to seven to 435 students in two shifts morning and afternoon. The staff consists of 13 teachers; at Quirimba, this school is the only one to provide education levels 6th and 7th.
The local government will take the responsibility of providing salaries to all concerned teaching staff.
The Butterfly Foundation will rely upon its local partner, Istituto Oikos, for the project implementation.
The project foresees:
- Rehabilitation of the existing school compound of five classrooms
- Complete refurbishing of roofing
- External and internal painting works
- Restoration of the current water cistern for the rainwater collection
- Implementation of a brand new water cistern
- Construction of four new separate latrines for male and female students
- Rehabilitation of the school administration building
The Butterfly Foundation will complete the project in four months as soon as funds are made available
Total cost €. 65.000,00, i.e. €. 13.000,00 for each classroom